Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Versalles- Week 49


Hellos!
This week went really well. I loved the training meeting we had on Tuesday and I look forward to more put in practice the things that I learned that day. Listening to president is like listening to a general authority... so freaking powerful and so exact or caval. I have already been using a few things I learned and it is working wonderfully!  This week we have been working with the SIMI. Trying to find all the less actives of the ward and try and help them to come to church again. We are finding that a lot of them have moved. Is that normal? I feel that if they have moved, it should not be on the SIMI? But maybe it is because they were less active. But we are filling up our afternoons with that because it is hard to have appointments and find people in the afternoon.
So, a small story and revelation. Elder Mehr is the other district leader in our zone. After the meeting on Tuesday, we tried to meet up with our companions, but we showed up like 45 minutes late at the designated meeting spot. Naturally, our companions went to go work. We didn't know where. We said a quick prayer and decided to go back to Elder Mehrs area. We found out that night that our companions went to go work in my area. That night, Elder Mehr and I had a brainstorm to help our districts and the zone. We came up with a few ideas that I believe to be revelation. First off, we were confident that almost every missionary works hard. But why aren´t we baptizing? We decided that it was a time management issue. Teaching people that do not progress.  People can work all day long and not baptize. We then talked about temptation a little bit. When Adam and eve were in the garden, Satan tempted them in only one thing. To eat the fruit. Why? because it was the ONLY commandment that they had. Satan only tempts us to do the things that Heavenly Father doesn´t want us to do. What are the things that missionaries don't like to do? Knock doors and do LPE or contacts in the streets. Satan does not want us to do the things that will give us baptisms. If missionaries would better use their time finding people that will progress, we wouldn´t be wasting time in lessons of people that wont progress. So to prevent finding people that wont progress, we came up with some good ideas. 1. We DO NOT force find. We do not find to get in the door, we find to baptize. So in my district we have changed the acronym LPE to LPB (lecciones para bautizar). We hope to put these things in practice in my district. As a result, this week our district and zone all did 140 lpb´s and now I really understand the importance of finding and hope to better use my time.
So last week after writing, we go into this little mall thing and guess who I see? TITO! turns out he works all the way out here in no mans land! It was so cool. So I got to talk to him for a while more and we decided that every Monday we would try to eat together. It was way cool. also last week we played some soccer with some locals. They call me Wooney... for Wayne wooney.  I guess he's the best player on Manchester United and England. So that was pretty cool:) Not to brag, but Elder Mehr and I are probably the best gringos that play... these Latins are teaching me whats up:)
So walk into a house for a lesson and see like 30 seconds of X games? so sick.. 
This week we have used Mosiah 18 : 8-10 to challenge people for baptism... que os impide ser bautizado. Its what we did to get hna Elizabeth baptized so long ago in my first area(she is a counselor in the relief society now:)) what keeps you from being baptized?

Last night I went into surgery.. for my ingrowns... didn't finish until this morning.. I started limping when I was walking this week and I had finally had enough... so I took I knife to it... I feel a lot better now:) The other one I got out a long time ago but it still hurts a bit. Its just that when I go to these places to get them taken out, they just come back.. so I decided to see what happens if I rip it out... it can't be worse than what these Latins do...jajajaja:)
So I called Elder Winter this week because they had a baptism on Saturday and I wanted to see if it went through. He is still in his area killing it. It was good to talk to him... it seems like its been a long time... when its only been like 2 weeks.. jaja... We miss singing the shins together... jajajaja. But he said that he went on divisions with Elder Rivas this week and was talking to him and stuff.. he said that Elder Rivas said, man, I miss Elder Thornton so much. I learned so much from him............ and stuff like that... Anyway, That was so nice to hear- I loved my trainer so much and I wanted or hoped that those who I have the privilege of training feel the same about me. :) I almost cried... because I loved that guy... hes kinda different, but I haven´t had a comp that i have worked so well with... he's awesome. Also, Elder Winter told me about a family that we had found when we were together. Its a family and the wife was explaining to them about how she is having difficulties with her family because they don't want her to take the lessons and stuff... then Elder Winter asked her about the Book of Mormon, and if she had been reading and praying.. she said yes... then he asked how do you feel? she looked up at Elder Winter and said, its true... i know it is................... it was just really cool because I found that family with him... I know exactly how they are and who they are. It just makes you happy to know how things turn out when you leave:)
district picture... no hermanas... my comp is in the middle with slicked back hair... when i told elder winter who my comp was, he was like: pres told me that we train our comps not only for the mission.. but for life.. then he was like, if you can teach your comp anything, teach him to change that hair do! jajajaja! I was cracking up:) My comp is getting a little better... we improved a lot this week... I hope to continue getting better and improving:)
Scott wrote me this week.... I am going to try everything to write him this week, but just let him know that I appreciate it:) I´ll get a letter out within a week:)
We are teaching a family Ramirez... they are awesome... a chosen family... I did an example with them with seven coins. then I say, now give one to God... then I put forth the example that they want to buy something.. but they need seven coins... they only have six... the other coin sits there in their face, but they never want to take it... why? I ask. because I gave it to God, they say. Then we draw the connection.. the seventh coin is the sabbath day... its Gods day.. we can use it, if we want, but we are taking it from God.. God asks us to come to church. Are you going to use the day in a way that's pleasing unto him? This family was amazed at what the sabbath day was and is coming to church this week:)
Thanks for everything! I love you all! Sounds like the COLDPLAY CONCERT WAS AWESOME! lucky.... have fun at my favorite place in the world!
Elder Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment